Volunteer Clearance Information
All volunteers at Merion Mercy Academy are reminded that they must provide the required clearances and background checks, and complete Philadelphia Archdiocesan training:
1. Pennsylvania State Criminal Record Check – Part of Act 153 - This clearance may be obtained online: https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
2. Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance – Part of Act 153 – This clearance may be obtained online: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
3. Federal Criminal History Record – Part of Act 153 (fingerprinting) – Registering with Cogent System (online: www.pa.cogentid.com or telephone: 888-439-2486) is necessary prior to going to the fingerprinting center.
*FBI fingerprinting is not required if the volunteer has resided in the state of Pennsylvania for the past 10 years. In that case, print and sign the disclosure statement (http://keepkidssafe.pa.gov/cs/groups/webcontent/documents/document/c_160267.pdf) swearing or affirming in writing that one is not disqualified from the service based upon a conviction of an offense under law/statue 6344 and that one has been a resident of the state for the past 10 years.
4. Archdiocese of Philadelphia Safe Environment Part I (Protecting God’s Children), Part II (Mandatory Reporting of Suspected Child Abuse). An explanation of these trainings can be found at: https://childyouthprotection.org/index.php/staff-volunteers/required-training
●To register to attend the Part I (Protecting God’s Children) training go to: www.virtus.org
●To register for Part II (Mandatory Reporting of Suspected Child Abuse) online training go to: https://learning.childyouthprotection.org/login/index.php
Once completed you will receive certificates which should be submitted to the Main Office.
Volunteers residing in New Jersey are asked to complete clearances per instructions below. They must also complete the required Philadelphia Archdiocesan training outlined above (training done in Diocese of Camden acceptable).
Obtaining clearances for New Jersey Residents, Volunteer Status:
1. Visit website: https://www.njsp.org/criminal-history-records
2. Scroll down to Volunteer Care Provider (VCP) Program – Name and State Background Check
3. Print out and complete the “Volunteer Provider Form”
4. Make an appointment for fingerprinting
- Appointment Scheduling: Scheduling is available anytime at www.bioapplicant.com/nj. Appointments may also be scheduled through our Call Center. English and Spanish speaking agents are available at 1-877-503-5981, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 12 noon EST. Provide Merion Mercy Academy with a copy of the results.
PLEASE NOTE: Background checks and clearances must be obtained every 5 years from the date of the last background check or clearance and resubmitted to Merion Mercy Academy.